Monday 14 September 2015

Coming down after YMLP

For those that don't know what YMLP is please visit www.oxcis.ac.uk/ymlp

So I just finished with the Young Muslim Leadership Programme where for two weeks we had been kept non-stop busy with inspirational lectures, discussions and activities covering a whole range of topics and themes from campaign management to political theory. Morning to evening there were planned events usually finishing with dinner with a speaker where we'd dress up in formal attire. But the day didn't end there. Most nights we'd be up into the small hours chatting, joking and enjoying each other's company before turning in for a short night's sleep to do it all over again.

In a very short time however this became the norm and body clocks adjusted, mental capacities adapted and lots of caffeine was ingested. Being productive and absorbtive is what we did all day everyday. For me it was a pleasant break from my day job and in some ways reminiscent of my time at Cambridge where every day was a stretching day - usually as I frantically tried to make sense of my mathematics lecture notes. And during this time where you're spending 24 hours a day in the company of the same 24 people you end up getting to know everyone really well and build bonds that will last the test of time. The intensity of the programme requires you to rely on others to make it through and share the responsibility of appearing to be awake when the lecturer just isn't talking about a topic that interests you. Questions need to come from somewhere and everyone contributes at some point.

So when it all finally came to an end on the evening of Friday 11th Sept I found myself at a bit of a loose end. We spent Friday night cracking jokes and writing notes to each other to take away with us along with our memories but eventually Saturday morning arrived and we all went our separate ways.

The first thing I did upon reaching my car (parked nearby) was have a two hour nap. After that I drove off home and upon arrival 2 hours later fell asleep some more. In fact I spent of Saturday catching up on my sleep as during the course I'd been getting by on 5-6 hours a night.
Sunday morning came and I half expected to be late for a talk when I woke up but I was back in my own bed and had no plans. It was a quite a come down after the two weeks to lie there thinking "hmm. What should I do?"
I got out of bed, read a few of my usual morning websites but was filled with a certain listlessness as to what purpose I had woken up for and I wasn't pleased about it.

But Allah gave us brains for a reason and I had some ideas about what I could do. I took my motorbike which I hadn't ridden for two weeks and had been fixing up just before I left and decided to test out my handiwork with a short ride around the block. Brakes, clutch and chain all worked fine so I lengthened my ride and lengthened it again till I ended up in Potters Bar 25 miles away from home. I rode back along a different route and took my first adventure on the North Circular and eventually ended up riding for 3 hours. Amazing experience but when I got home again I was again filled with a longing to do something.

Enter the YMLP 2015 WhatsApp group. An amazing little group where we can share ideas and thoughts without fear of mockery (well without fear of ill-intentioned mockery at least!) and often find a supportive ear. Already there's been discussion of video series, fashion outlets and learning languages. And in the absence of a structured programme you have to make do with what you can and with this active and involved group there's a huge amount that can be done and we can carry on the spirit of the programme and take the Amanah that we were trusted with and make good use out of it to somehow make the world a better place. And to do so we need only make the effort and support each others' endeavours.

No comments: